Tuesday 30 October 2012

More Reindeer Games

Reindeer Tree Ornaments

These were always destined to become Tree Decorations, so here's a pic of some I've just finished.

Again, using the same pattern as the Reindeer Christmas Cup Cosy  but with a little red bow and jingle bell sewn on to the bottom of each head. 
Because the Antlers for these have to stand up to the tree branches, I decided to stiffened them this time, with a diluted PVA glue solution. 
If you plan on making a few Reindeer this season, crochet a pile of Antlers and stiffen them all together.
Here's how
Take a disposable plastic cup and put in equal parts of PVA glue and water, make sure the glue you use dries clear, I used Aquadhere. 

Mix it well and saturate each Antler with the mix, squeezing the glue into it and then squeezing the liquid out. If you have any glue left over, you can keep it in a sealed jar for future use. 

Pin the Antlers out into shape, on to a cling wrapped board to dry. Make sure you bend them in the middle and pin them in this position to form the two Antlers.
Once they're completely dry and stiff, unpin them. That's about it.
They will be a little stiff to sew on, but not impossible.
Hope you enjoy making them,
Jen.



13 comments:

  1. They are really cute,my grand kids would just love them.xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Laurajane, I hope they like them, you'll have to put their name's on each one :-)

      Delete
  2. Thanks Julie, I love that little tree, it comes in very handy for photos

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Jen,
    I hope you don't mind, I've linked to your blog post in my blog http://fizzical-attraction.blogspot.co.uk/ These reindeer are SO cute I just had to share them.
    Yvonne

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No problem at all Yvonne (I just love the name of your boat) thanks for linking it :-).

      Delete
  4. Please Justjen, I beg you may may I have the pattern for the rain deer & Cat as well ?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Teressie, all the free patters are in the link at the right hand side of the blog, if you click on the pretty pink flower tea cosy pic. But here it is ... http://justjen-knitsandstitches.blogspot.com.au/p/my-free-tea-cosy-patterns-and-other.html Jen

    ReplyDelete
  6. Justjen, Thank you so very much sharing this patterns with we me. You made my grandchildren VERY happy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My pleasure, thank you for letting me know that Teressie xx.

      Delete
  7. Hi Justjen,
    My friend has just joined a knitting group, now that she has retired and has knitted her first tea cosy, she has knitted things in the past but has suddenly been inspired to start again, She has a relation in Canada who is a nurse in a childrens hospital and she has recently seen a pattern in a book called "Tea Cozys" in the shape of a nurse which she thought might be fun to knit for her,the cosy has a little button in the shape of a nurses watch on, I was wondering have you have any idea where she could find one.
    she has searched the internet with no luck, hope you can help. Your webpage is really good and I will pass it on to her. Thank you Alf Hampson

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Alf, I'm sorry I don't, all she can do is search buttons on Ebay, with a description. Perhaps contact the author of the book, she might tell her where she can get it. Thank you, I appreciate your nice comment.

      Delete

I love reading your comments, and I'm very happy to help you with any questions about my patterns. The comments are moderated only to stop spam mail coming through, so your comment will be published as soon as I get a chance to check them - thanks Jen.