Tuesday 27 September 2011

Justjen's Fester The Whole Goat




Justjen's Fester – The Whole Goat.

Fester is the goat attached to the tea cosy way back in my 2nd post. It was and will forever be attached to a thread started by "Possum" on Ravelry. I always intended to give him a body so he could climb out of the well, & seeing as the thread's 1year old in December, here's the pattern.



Fester is a tiny goat about 12.5cm tall not counting horns. He is knitted except for his horns which are crocheted. I understand a lot of people don’t crochet, so I’ll include some knitted horns in the pattern. I feel the crochet horns look more like horns but either do the job. Fester’s body & legs are knitted all in one piece so he is relatively easy to make

Amendment to pattern - knitted version of horns - after knitting horns fold in half & sew up to the point (same as crochet version), then attach to head.
                                                           
Materials

50g White 8ply/DK yarn.

Small amount Grey 8ply/DK yarn for horns & hooves.

Small amount pink yarn for nose & mouth.

2 black beads, black sewing thread for eyes – or black yarn if not using beads.

3.25mm knitting needles

4mm crochet hook if crocheting horns.

Fibrefill for stuffing.

Head – make 1

Using 3.25mm needles & white cast on 11 sts.

Row 1 – P

Row 2 – K, increasing in every st – 22 sts.

Starting with a P row st st 9 rows.

Next Row – (K2,K2tog) to last 2 sts, k2 – 17sts.

Starting with a P row st st 3 rows.

Next Row – (K2, k2 tog) to last st, k1 – 13sts.

Starting with a P row st st 5 rows.

Next Row – K2tog to last st, k1 – 7sts.

P 1 row.

Thread yarn through remaining sts & fasten off tightly. Leave a long thread for sewing up.

With right sides out & using mattress stitch, sew up seam from tip of nose (cast off end) leaving the cast on edge open for stuffing. Stuff firmly then sew a gathering st around edge & pull tightly to close, fasten off.

Ears – Make 2

With 3.25mm needles & white cast on 10sts.

St st 4 rows.

Next Row – Working in st st, decrease both ends of this row & following k rows until 2sts remain.
P one row.
K2 tog, fasten off.

Fold ear in half at the cast on edge & sew across, sew this edge to side of head, use photo as a guide.

Horns in crochet – make 2 (I’ve altered the horns a bit from the original tea cosy pattern these ones are more symmetrical. ENGLISH CROCHET TERMS USED - our English dc is equivalent to US sc


With 4mm crochet hook & grey ch 6, turn.

Miss first ch, 1dc in next 5 ch, 1ch, turn

Dc in next 4 dc, 2dc in last dc, 1ch turn,

Dc in 6dc, 1ch turn,

Dc in next 5 dc,

Fasten off.

Fold horns in half & sew up to the point.

Horns in knitting (for non-crocheters) – make 2

With 3.25 mm needles & grey cast on 9sts.

Row 1 – K

Row 2 – K, inc 1 at the end of row.

Row 3 – Inc 1, K to end.

Row 4 – K, inc 1 at end of row.

Row 5 – K

Row 6 – K to last 2 sts – k2tog.

Row 7 – K2tog, k to end.

Row 8 – K to last 2 sts – k2tog.

Cast off
Fold horns in half & sew up to the point.
Sew horns to top of head. Sew beads on for eyes. Using pink satin stitch a nose & use a back stitch for the mouth.

Upper Body – make 1

Using Grey starting at bottom of leg, co 8sts.
St st 4 rows.

Change to white & st st 14 rows.

Leave this leg on left hand needle, leaving enough yarn to cast on another 8sts.

Do another leg the same.

With the 1st then 2nd legs together on needle K across 2nd leg, cast on 8sts from first leg (for body). K across these sts & remaining 8sts from first leg – 24sts. *

St st 27 rows. #

Next row

K8, leave these on a stitch holder, cast off 8sts, K remaining 8 sts.

Working on these 8sts for leg, st st 13 rows white.

Change to grey & st st another 4 rows.

Cast off.

Transfer remaining 8sts to needle with wrong side facing. Join yarn & K 13 rows starting with a p row.

Change to grey, st st 4 rows.

Cast off.

Under Body

Work as for upper body to *.

St st 5 rows instead of 27 rows.

Continue as for upper body from #

& complete other 2 legs.

Tail

With 3.25mm needles & white cast on 6 sts.

St st 2 rows.

Dec each end of this & alternate rows until 2 sts remain.

P 1 row

K2tog fasten off.

Make Up
Under Body                         Upper Body
With right side facing out fold upper body in half along backbone. Using mattress stitch for all seams, sew down the front edge of body aprox 3cm.

Leave the back seam open for stuffing at this stage.

Join the lower body to upper body, start at the lower edge of hoof, up the inside leg across tummy & back down other leg & bottom of hoof. Do the other side the same.

View of under body.

Sew up the front of legs, until you meet up with the front seam of upper body, making sure both legs are of equal length as you sew towards the front seam. Sew the back legs up, but leave the back seam to stuff.

Stuff firmly with fibre fill, using a chopstick of something similar to push the stuffing well into the legs first, then finish stuffing body. Sew up the back seam.


Sew head to body at front top corner of body, attach it with some wide stitches to secure it. Fold tail in half a little & sew that on to the back.   All done.
Oh I forgot I didn't put a beard on him because he looks like a baby goat & kids don't have beards do they? If you want him to have one use the tail pattern it make an acceptable beard  :-)

© Jennifer Stacey 2011
For personal use, not to be sold for profit.
(Charity use allowed with my prior permission)

As always please let me know if you find any mistakes,
love Jen.




44 comments:

  1. thank you for sharing the pattern with us.
    and how you made him, with pictures, great.
    greetings

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Julie & Miek.
    I wondered if I should include some pics even though it's a very basic pattern. It's easy to assume everyone has knitted toys before, but I'm starting to consider a lot of beginners who haven't. Because it's a very simple pattern I thought adding photo's might help some who want to attempt it.
    If anyone wants the basic pattern with no pics, to save ink, it should be easy to delete them before you print - love Jen.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Estoy completamente pérdida. Quiero hacerlo y lo intento traducir al español. Encuentro algunas abreviaturas, no todas. Hay algún vídeo para ir mirando? Que significa 2d,2d TOG.
      La verdad no entiendo muy bien el patrón. Me cuesta entenderlo y me despisto a no estar por lineas cada vuelta. Socorro
      Gracias
      Mi email guillerma.pinyol@gmail.com

      Delete
  3. Thanks very much "Home is Best"

    ReplyDelete
  4. hi, i like Fester so much..
    i wanna make it too..
    but, i just can crocheting..
    do u have a crochet pattern for this goat..?

    thanx before :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Orange Girl, I would love to be able to convert it to crochet for you, but I just have too much to do leading up to Christmas sorry. I might be able to have a look at it in the New Year - Thanks for having a look Jen

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jennifer R.October 14, 2011

    This is absolutely adorable. I've been wanting to try my hand at toys but as I haven't yet learned to knit in the round it minimizes my opportunities. This looks like a great project for me to try!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love this little goat, and would NEVER have figured out how to make him, your step by step photos are fab!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks Jennifer R sorry I must have missed your post. He's magical you know, he may even turn into a reindeer soon - perhaps.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks Sue, he's very easy - you won't find any serious knitting here. Ohhh I love your blog, in awe of your photography (seeing as I have just acquired a new camera & really want to play with it) & your wonderful card art. I'll be visiting often!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank You!! I raise Saanen dairy goats that look like this little guy. I am always looking for nice goat items and they are hard to find. I am excited about trying this pattern. The grandkids will love him.

    ReplyDelete
  11. To Anon - Glad you like him, they do look cute in a herd - Jen

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks so much for this goat pattern. we used to raise dairy goats but our little township becme a city and the new mayor decided that farm animals are not compatible with the new imge she'd like to convey to people. ( We're still a little berg despite her promotions), We did get rid of our goats but now only have ducks and chickens and one rescue turkey. So since I had to give my "real live goats" away I now collect ceramic, glass, wood and now knitted goats. Thanks so much for all your hard work.
    Geoget

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks Geoget, it's such a shame about your goats, we have strict rules here about keeping animals as well, you need a certain amount of land etc. Well now you can have as many goats as you want lol. Thank you for sharing your story, I'm realising now how loved goats are throughout the world - Jen.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Justjen, thank you SO MUCH for posting this darling pattern!!! Your goatie is so, so cute! I'd love to make several and photograph them in the pasture when the buttercups are blooming--wouldn't that make a fun picture?

    We raise Saanens (white dairy goats) that look just like this little guy. The nieces and nephews adore our goats and would love nothinig more than their own softie versions to take home. I'm happy to find your pattern this early in the year so I have time to make a whole herd by Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  15. AnonymousJune 24, 2012

    Thanks, Fester. This is the best goat anywhere! Thanks so much for sharing it.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thanks Jennifer for sharing such a cute and fun pattern. I've converted your pattern into a pdf, if you would like I could send it to you. I too am on ravelry my user name is YahKheena. I'm in the process of knitting a lamb for a friend's baby shower and came upon your pattern... she might end up getting a lamb and goat... too cute! thanks again!
    YahKheena

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Yahkheena, thanks for the offer but I can convert my patterns to pdf's, trouble is Blogger won't except them in pdf form in posts :-).
      Have fun with Fester and lots of love to your friend and her approaching new bub - Jen

      Delete
  17. Hi Jen - I've agreed to knit or crochet some items for a food cooperative fundraiser and was wondering if you would allow me to use your pattern. Here's the info on the fundraiser: http://assabetvillagecoop.com/fundraising/. I think this would be an adorable addition to the raffle! I would be happy to make sure your name appears on the placard as the creator of the pattern. Thanks :) Danielle

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Danielle, yes that's fine if you want to make a Fester for the raffle,and thank you for mentioning my blog :-)
      http://justjen-knitsandstitches.blogspot.com.au/

      Good luck with it all - Jen.
      PS - he is very small in 8ply/DK, if you make him in worsted weight or 12ply he'll be a lot bigger!

      Delete
  18. daenwiserMay 16, 2013

    I found Fester via ravelry, and I knit him for a co-worker. I was in a creative/testing frame of mind (or, as my husband terms it, "insane"), and wondered what would happen if, instead of casting off the hooves at the end of the upper body, I would go straight into knitting the under body. So I tried it, picking up stitches and knitting the edges together as I went. It can be done, but I'm not convinced that fewer seams equals a better-looking project in this case. (Yes, it was more work, too.)

    It was a fun pattern to knit, though, and Fester looks adorable. Thanks for the pattern!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hi Jen,
    Would you mind if I use your pattern for charity?
    I'm always looking for different things to knit or crochet.
    I think the goat looks great.
    Thanks
    Marg

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hi Jen,
    what's pm,I'm not up with abbreviations, sorry.
    normally have to ask the kids what they mean.
    Marg

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Marg (pm is private message)but don't worry, if you want to make a few goats for your charity that's fine, if you can credit the pattern back to me or my blog that would be great. Happy knitting :-)

      Delete
  21. Hi Jen,
    Thanks, will put your site with the goats when I make them.
    Marg

    ReplyDelete
  22. I love the look of this goat and want to make it for my daughter-in-law who wants a Heifer International goat for X-mas -- to give, not get. Anyway, I got to this the pattern through Ravelry and cannot figure out how to print it. Someone please help this non-techie!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Hi - it depends on what program you're using, but with Windows 7 you can right click your mouse and move down the pattern to highlight it. If you then right click again, it will see a prin option and you should be able to print it from there. Or you can select the pattern and copy and paste it to a program like "Office" where you can print it out as a document.
    If it's easier for you, send me your email address to sewcrazejen@yahoo.com.au and I will send you a pdf of the pattern that you'll be able to print out. I would LOVE to post all my patterns in pdf form, so much easier, but Blogger won't allow it :-).

    ReplyDelete
  24. Got it printed. Can't wait to get started! Thanks -- Peggy

    ReplyDelete
  25. THANK YOU THANK YOU! I have been looking for goat pattern since last fall. My 3 year old grandaughter LOVES goats! Mommy and daddy took her to the 4H animal fair last summer and she was in love the moment she saw them. They even got a short video of her and she's jumping up and down and saying... "goats!" Now grnadma can make her one of her own! Thanks so much for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  26. So pleased you like him, you'll have to make your grandaughter a whole herd of goats to play with :-)

    ReplyDelete
  27. Ann ChapmanApril 27, 2014

    This is just what I have been looking for. It's for a Woolfest event in Cumbria in June. They plan to auction a series of knitted animals and are supporting a Red Squirrel charity. Ok to use if I credit you for the pattern? I would love to find a life like Red Squirrel pattern...!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Sure Ann that's ok, just include my name or this blog address, somewhere in the process. He's very small though, perhaps use worsted weight or 12 ply with 4mm needles to make him a little bigger. Good luck with the fundraiser - Jen.

    ReplyDelete
  29. I will be making this goat for my 2 yr old son, he will love thxs

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww hope he likes it Heather, thanks for leaving a comment - Jen :-)

      Delete
  30. Thank you so much for posting those pictures of how the pieces get sewn together. I am trying to make my own pattern for a stuffed pig (never made toys before) and had a huge mental block when it came to visualizing how the pieces would fit together. This was EXACTLY what I was looking for, and I can't tell you how relieved I was when I found this after much searching. The goat is so adorable, and I can't wait to make my own once the pig is done. Thanks again! You saved my night!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Hello. we are doing a project for Chinese New Year which is year of the goat & encouragin the local community to knit goats from your pattern .....

    ReplyDelete
  32. I tried to crochet the horns using This pattern, but they turned out nothing like the photo D: I was wondering if I was doing something wrong, or if the pattern was meant to make short horns instead of the longer curved ones shown. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Madeline, the pattern is correct, you fold the horn in half along the rows, to sew. The 2dc together at the end of the 2nd row is the pointy part of the horn when folded. I'm wondering if you are used to US terms. Our English dc is equivalent to the US sc, that would make a great difference to it . I usually state in my patterns that I always use English crochet terms not American. But because it was a tiny bit of crochet I didn't this time. But I've now included that info for any US friends. I hope this helps you out - Jen.

      Delete
  33. My first grandchild is due to be born in the Year of The Goat (2015). As a beginner knitter this was a great pattern for me to make to commemorate her year of birth and also to warm up knitting skills for other cute projects. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  34. Hi
    Just wanted to thank you for the great pattern and clear instructions! I've just knitted a goat for my new nephew and it looks great!!

    ReplyDelete
  35. Hi Justjen. Thanks for this lovely simple pattern. I was looking for a pattern for a knitted springbok (I'm South African) and couldn't find any (only a crocheted one and I haven't yet learned to crochet). But for some reason Fester's pattern came up in the search results and I figured that if I changed the colouring and position of the horns and ears it might just pass as a springbok. I'm really happy with how it turned out; I can send you pictures if you're interested.

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your comments, and I'm very happy to help you with any questions about my patterns. The comments are moderated only to stop spam mail coming through, so your comment will be published as soon as I get a chance to check them - thanks Jen.